The Victorian Training Guarantee provides government-subsidised training places for eligible applicants wishing to improve their vocational qualifications. Right now is the perfect time to start gaining new skills, or upgrading your existing skills and qualifications. This will help you to get that job you’ve wanted or even start studying towards that promotion that requires a higher qualification. The Victorian Training Guarantee is making vocation and training more accessible to people who do not hold a post-school qualification, or who want to gain a higher level qualification than they already hold. There are now an unlimited number of government subsidised training places available to people who meet the eligibility criteria.

Victorian Training Program

In 2016 you are eligible for a government subsidised training place if you:

Meet one of the following citizen/residency statuses:

Generally, you are eligible for a government-subsidised training place if you are:

  • an Australian citizen
  • an Australian Permanent Resident (holder of a permanent visa)
  • a New Zealand citizen

and are any of the following:

  • under 20 years of age
  • seeking to enrol in a Foundation Skills List course (and do not hold a Diploma or above qualification or are receiving core skills training in other sectors)
  • seeking to enrol in VCE or VCAL
  • 20 years and older and ‘upskilling’ by seeking to enrol in a course at a higher level than your existing qualification.

If you are enrolled at a school, you will not be able to receive a government-subsidised training place for a course through the Victorian Training Guarantee, unless you are undertaking the course as part of a School-Based Apprenticeship or Traineeship.

How many courses am I eligible for?

You are eligible to commence a maximum of two subsidised courses at the same qualification level in your lifetime. This restriction applies whether or not you complete the courses. For example, this means if you have already commenced two courses at the Certificate III level, you may only commence courses at the Certificate IV level (or above).

This restriction does not apply to courses on the Foundation Skills List or to students recommencing training in the same qualification (at the same or a different provider).

Under exceptional circumstances students may apply for an exemption to the rule allowing only two commencements at the same level, enabling them to enrol in a further qualification at the same level. See the Frequently Asked Questions for information about this. No exemptions are available for any other eligibility criteria.

In addition, eligible students can begin up to two subsidised courses in a year as long as you are not doing any more than two courses at a time

You can also check what you may be eligible for using the interactive Victorian Skills Gateway Eligibility Indicator.

To find out more about government subsidised training visit

Special Tuition Fee arrangements for the following types of students:


For students who are:

•             Commonwealth Health Care Card holders, and their dependant children and dependant spouses

•             Pensioner Concession Card holders, and their dependant children and dependant spouses

•             Veteran’s Gold Card holders (but not their dependants)

Concessions on tuition fees are available for government-subsidised training places in all courses below Diploma level.
Under the Indigenous Completions Initiative, Indigenous students pay only the concession tuition fee in each course category.

Job seekers undertaking government-subsidised training at Certificate I-IV level will not be required to pay tuition fees. For the purpose of accessing the fee waiver, a Job Seeker is defined as a person who is:

•             Registered with an Employment Services Provider; and/or

•             A participant in the Commonwealth Government’s Community Development Employment Program and/or Access Program

A student may be exempt from any fee payment if a prisoner from the Judy Lazarus Transition Centre and young people required to undertake a course of study pursuant to a community based order.

You can still study with us, but you may not be able to access a government subsidised tuition fee.